Thursday, March 10, 2011

Done!...For now, anyway :)

I have finished my last paper for the term! I also had my last tutorial EVER. Yes, they grade papers really quickly around here. It's really nice to be able to get a grade within a matter of hours of turning a paper in, but at the same time, it's annoying to know that I work on a paper for days, and they take one hour to read it. Anyway, my final paper was on the use of plot in the works of Virginia Woolf and I finally got my A! An official, British A, not a grade that will be an A once it's translated. Basically, my tutor loved the paper. I won't go into the details of what I wrote, since I'm pretty sure that would bore you all to tears and I love you a little bit more than that :P.

So now, I'm basically done with all my work until I need to start studying for finals. And on that note, I have a tentative exam schedule. It's not finalized, so things could change, but the chances of anything changing are minimal. As it stands, Modern Period I is on May 6, Chaucer is on May 12, Modern English Language is on May 13, and my last exam, London in Literature is on....May 26. Just about 2 weeks after the rest of my exams. Seriously. It's a bit annoying, but what are you going to do? And considering that the last English exam overall is on June 3, it could have been worse. I'll still get out a week earlier than we were planning on.

What have I been doing recently? It's been a while since I last put up an entry, but to be honest, I haven't done a whole lot. This paper has pretty much consumed my life. But I did get to do something pretty awesome on Tuesday :) As some of you may know, Tuesday was International Women's Day (it was also Mardi Gras, but I'm not going to discuss my bitterness in that regard), which meant that it was also the day of Women for Women International's Join Me on the Bridge Campaign. The campaign basically involves people all over the world marching to various bridges chanting for equality, justice, and equal rights. The day ends up being about millions of people all over the world standing together for women's rights in every country. It was really incredible and inspiring, not to mention fun! We got our faces painted and got really soulful with one of the chants. I also found out about a new organization that I'd like to get involved with back in the United States (I'll explain in a minute). So, I think that's enough explanation. I'll just attach some photos!

Oh, and that's Annie Lennox in the last picture, just so you know :)

One last note of awesomeness, the most amazing brother in the entire world is coming to visit me (and go to Edinburgh) on Saturday! That's right, Jerome and I will be taking on Edinburgh next week! Be on the lookout for awesome photos. I can't even express how excited I am :)

Love y'all
Emily

P.S. New organization I've found: Some of you know that I'm really interested in the idea of midwifery. It ties into my interest, as a gender studies major, in motherhood and childbirth- hence why I'm combining my two majors into an honors thesis on the representation of motherhood in American southern literature. So, one of the groups that was marching in Join Me on the Bridge was The White Ribbon Alliance. They advocate safe motherhood around the world, and one of the things they focus on is increasing the number of midwives. They have a branch in the US and I'm really excited to find out what sorts of things they do over there :)

No comments: