Monday, November 29, 2010

I Can Believe Anything Provided it is Quite Incredible

You may have guessed from the title that this post has something to do with Oscar Wilde. On Saturday morning, I went on an Oscar Wilde walking tour, which took us around Mayfair, where Wilde lived. As many of you know, I am slight obsessed with Oscar Wilde. Okay, make that majorly obsessed. Plus, I'm currently writing a paper on his use of fashion and clothing to reveal character in his plays, mysteries, and novel.

So, Saturday morning, I dragged myself out of bed and made my way out to Mayfair, despite the fact that it was absolutely freezing outside. Over the past two or three weeks, it has gotten absolutely miserable here. I basically never want to leave my room. Anyway, that's not the point of this story. I go to the Waterloo tube station and went outside where I found the tour guide. He was easy to spot, since he was dressed as Oscar Wilde! Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture, sorry about that. But you can see what he looked like here ---> Oscar Wilde walking tour

The tour lasted about 2 hours, and I was more than ready to get back to my warm bed by the end of it, but it was really interesting and I definitely recommend going if you're ever in London! For the rest of this post, I'm basically just going to show you a few random photos from the tour. Enjoy!

Mayfair, the area where Wilde lived.

The market where Wilde bought his buttonholes, and where a few of his works were published.

One of the many hotels Oscar Wilde stayed at- The Albemarle House.

The shop where Oscar Wilde bought his cigarettes (Turkish tobacco, very expensive) and, bonus fact, Winston Churchill bought his cigars here!

 This used to be a hotel, and Queensbury was living here when he sent the calling card accusing Oscar Wilde of posing as a sodomite. It was conveniently (and purposefully) located right next door to Wilde's club.

Well, that's it for this post. I think you get the general idea of the tour :) It was great and I may do some more of their tours. They're only 6 pounds for students! Back to paper writing now.

Emily

Oh, random fact, I met the cutest lady from Chicago. She's also a huge fan of Oscar Wilde and was a member of Tri Delta sorority when she was a student at the University of Florida. Not Phi Mu, but still pretty awesome! We talked about tuition fees and the fact that when she went to school, it cost (total, including sorority fees) $600 a semester. Crazy!

No comments: