Sunday, May 1, 2011

All the World's a Stage

Yes, I am going to title my post about the Globe Theater with a cheesy line from Shakespeare :) It's my blog and I can do what I want.

The Globe Theater is one of the few things in London that I actually like. Considering the fact that the last time I was there, I got heat stroke and stubbornly refused to leave (much to my parents' chagrin), you wouldn't think that was the case. But it's just so much fun and manages to blur that line between being touristy and being an actual piece of British history and culture. Because I saw Antony and Cleopatra (a tragedy) last time, I decided that this time, I would see a comedy. Thus, All's Well that Ends Well! I have never read it, and so I really didn't know what it was going to be about, but it was really good! Although, it was a bit more serious than I was expecting.

I was a groundling, which meant that instead of having a seat, I was standing in the yard. Really, it's the only way to see a play at the Globe :) I was right up against the stage until intermission, when I decided to go stand in the sun and warm up during the second half. Skirts kept brushing against my hands and I had to lean back a couple of times to avoid being hit by the sword scabbards. It was awesome!

No more talking, I promise. Here are a couple pictures I took!




I hope everyone's had a great weekend, and is enjoying May Day!
All my love,
Emily

No comments: