Saturday, May 7, 2011

Some good news!

First up, I am now a member not only of the class of 2012, but also of the class of 2013! I have been accepted to the 4+1 Masters program in English at the best university ever, my beloved Tulane :) It's a little crazy to think about, as I don't feel like I'm old enough to be getting an M.A., but I'm so excited and I get to spend another year studying literature at Tulane, and graduate two years in a row lol.

In other news, I finished my first final exam here in the UK. One thing that is annoying is that you can't just leave when you're finished, the way you do in the United States. Instead, they make you stay for the entire three hour exam period, and then collect all the exams exactly at one and THEN you can leave. I've always been really fast as taking exams, and so it's really annoying to me to sit there and wait for the exam period to actually end before I can go. Oh well, there's only a few more. Chaucer is going to be death, though, seeing as they're doing it the same way and that's a 6 hour exam.

My first exam was Modern Period I, which meant I got to write all on authors I'm obsessed with: Oscar Wilde, Virginia Woolf, Ernest Hemingway, and F. Scott Fitzgerald. I wrote about forms of pleasure in Wilde's work, complex interrelations of everyday life for Woolf, and the way that narrators perform character analysis in Hemingway and Fitzgerald. I'm pretty happy with my essays, but I have no idea how hard they grade here, so we'll see. I can only hope for the best. But I've already been accepted to grad school, so my future plans are set anyway, which is awesome :)

Next exam is on Thursday, and it's the evil 6-hour Chaucer exam. Then on Friday, I have Modern English Language, and then a two week break to study for my last exam, London in Literature on the 26th.

Wish me luck!
Emily

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Luck - I know you'll do well
Love
Mom